You’re on your way back from the bar, you have had a few drinks and you aren’t paying attention to your speed. Suddenly, you see flashing lights in your rear view mirror and your heart starts thumping in your chest like a jackhammer. What should you do? The first thing you need to do is pull over to the side of the road and the next thing you need to do is cooperate with the officer. In all likelihood the officer is going to ask you if you have been drinking, especially if it is late at night. Do you answer the question honestly? If you have had enough to drink that an officer could smell it on your breath the smart thing to do is to admit that you had been drinking. This will likely lead to further investigation with the officer requesting that you step out of your car and perform some standard filed sobriety tests (SFT’s).
(click/tap the questions to see more information)
- Do I have to perform the Standard Field Sobriety Tests?
- If they ask me to take a preliminary breath test do I have to?
- Do I have to submit to the chemical test at the jail?
- What happens if I refuse to submit to a chemical test?
- What do I do if I have been charged with drunk driving?