A drug conviction can interfere with your career, ruin your family, and cost you tens of thousands of dollars in court fines and fees. Are you or someone you know being investigated for alleged drug related activity in West Michigan? Have you been charged with a crime involving drugs or narcotics? If so, contact the West Michigan Defense Team and allow us to protect your rights and provide you with the best possible legal representation.
With over 70+ years of combined experience, we represent clients charged with:
- Possession with Intent to Sell or Deliver Cocaine
- Possession with Intent to Sell or Deliver Methamphetamine
- Possession with Intent to Sell or Deliver Ecstasy
- Possession with Intent to Sell or Deliver Heroin
- Possession with Intent to Sell or Deliver Marijuana
- Possession with Intent to Sell or Deliver MDMA
- Use of Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Ecstasy, Heroin, Marijuana, MDMA
- Possession of Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Ecstasy, Heroin, Marijuana, MDMA
- Delivery of Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Ecstasy, Heroin, Marijuana, MDMA
- Maintaining a Drug House
- Operating Under the Influence of Drugs (OUID)
- Prescription Drug Charges
- State and Federal Drug Trafficking
- Medical Marijuana
Drug offenses carry significant consequences including incarceration, license suspension, and seizure of property.
- Incarceration– Misdemeanor drug charges are limited to local jail time only. In many instances, a misdemeanor drug charge will result in probation along with fines and costs. However, if you have criminal history or are in a jurisdiction that takes a hard stance on drug crimes, you may be facing incarceration. If you are facing felony drug charges, the possibility of jail or prison looms large. Furthermore, if you are facing felony drug charges and already have criminal history, you very likely may be facing a prison sentence.
- License Suspension– Just about every type of drug charge carries a driver license suspension upon conviction. First time drug offenders, if they don’t receive diversion under MCL 333.7411, face a six month license suspension with the possibility of a restricted license after 30 days. Those who are facing a second or subsequent drug conviction will have a one -year suspension with the possibility of a restricted license after 60 days.
- Seizures of Property– West Michigan drug enforcement agencies are typically self -funded and look for ways to generate revenue. If an individual is caught with drugs, either in possession for personal use or distributing drugs, law enforcement can attempt to seize the person’s property, such as their vehicle, property or cash. Furthermore, if a home is being used to manufacture drugs, law enforcement can attempt to have the home forfeited as well.
Here at the West Michigan Defense Team our approach varies depending on the specifics of your case. Oftentimes the first area to address is the seizure of property because there is a limited time frame in which to fight a civil forfeiture case. If you have had property seized as part of a drug offense, we will work with the law enforcement agency to retrieve your property. If we are unable to negotiate the return of your property, we are prepared to fight for your property through litigation in the circuit court.
People are often caught with drugs in their possession during a routine traffic stop. In these situations, we first determine if the stop was legal and, if it was, we then determine if the search was legal. If the stop appears to have been unlawful, the attorneys at the West Michigan Defense team will seek to suppress any evidence illegally obtained. If both the stop and the search were legal, the next step is to determine possible defenses specific to the case. These defenses are presented to the prosecutor during plea negotiations. Sometimes a reduced plea is the best option for our clients, but in other cases the best option is to go to trial.
Occasionally, it is possible for an individual facing significant drug charges to have them lessened or even dismissed by assisting law enforcement with other drug investigations. Here at the West Michigan Defense Team we have a good relationship with local undercover drug enforcement agents and are typically able to arrange meetings to assist our clients who want to cooperate to reduce their charges.
Part of the plea negotiation process sometimes involves what is known as “7411.” MCL 333.7411 allows for qualifying individuals convicted of a first drug offense to receive a deferral of their conviction if they complete probation successfully. This would keep your record clear. In other words, even though an individual pleads guilty to a first offense drug charge, it is not entered as a conviction unless he or she fails probation. This allows an individual to avoid having their license suspended and keeps the conviction off their record. While 7411 is not applicable to everyone, it is something that our attorneys employ to our clients’ benefit when appropriate.Regardless of the type of drug charge you may be facing, the West Michigan Defense Team has handled all types of drug crimes throughout Michigan. We are well versed in Michigan drug laws and have what it takes to fight your drug case and get you the results you are looking for.
Q: What do I do if the police pull me over and I have drugs in the car?
A: You are under no obligation to reveal to the police that you have drugs in the car. In order for them to search your car they must have a valid reason to search your vehicle. It is important to remain calm and do what the officer requests and if the officer requests to search your vehicle you may refuse..
Attorneys Jeff Kortes, Steven Simkins, Mark Hunting and Jason Jansma are experts in drug related criminal defense representation and offer representation throughout all of West Michigan, including Grand Rapids, Wyoming, Grandville, Walker, Kentwood, Allegan, Holland, Muskegon, Grand Haven, Kalamazoo, Big Rapids, Gladwin, Mainstee, Newaygo, Stanton, Hastings, Ionia, Lansing and surrounding communities. Contact the West Michigan Defense Team today to set up a free consultation.
Years Of Experience